By Anahid Brakke, Executive Director, San Diego Hunger Coalition
For forty-five years, San Diego Hunger Coalition has believed in a
Hunger Free San Diego where anyone facing hunger can get the
assistance they need. This can only be achieved when we work
collaboratively to provide programming supported by research,
education, and advocacy.
I'm proud to share with you some of our results and outcomes from
2018, accomplished through leading coordinated action with our 100+ partners.
- Convened and facilitated 24 CalFresh Task Force meetings for
over 40 organizations to collectively address barriers to
enrollment, resolve case issues and share best practices.
- Increased enrollment by 3,303 households receiving CalFresh
- Trained 270 staff and volunteers from 51 partner
organizations on how to provide application assistance to
- Worked with colleges and universities to increase
awareness and enrollment in CalFresh resulting in an additional
5,496 low0income college students receiving benefits.
Hunger Free Kids
- Since 2015, launched 41 meal programs and connected 5,000 kids
to 393,000 meals.
- Facilitated Hunger Free Kids Task Force
meeting, bringing together more than 60 nonprofits, school districts
and meal providers to improve programs, increase collaboration and