Each year, 15 youth with diverse lived experiences are selected to join the Youth Leadership Team. Over the course of 10 months, Youth Leaders participate in the following activities:
- Working with a County employee as a mentor
- Gaining work experience in County departments
- Participating in County boards and commissions
- Organizing town halls to gather input on topics important to youth and young adults
- Serving as subject-matter experts to inform County programs and services
Youth Leaders organize and host Youth-Led Town Halls about issues affecting youth in San Diego County. The goals of the Town Halls are to:
- Amplify diverse and marginalized youth voices
- Build understanding of youth issues and priorities
- Provide opportunities for young people to share experiences and network
- Bridge intergenerational gaps between youth, community stakeholders, and members of local government
- Establish a call to action
2022 Town Halls
- Substance Misuse - Town Hall Recording | Substance Misuse - Article
- Gun Violence Prevention - Town Hall Recording | Gun Violence Prevention - Article
- Mental Health Equity - Town Hall Recording
The Youth Sector supports youth participation on County boards and commissions. This helps inform decision making by incorporating diverse youth voices and perspectives. This resource describes our County boards and commissions, so young people can learn about their work and join public meetings. We hope you consider joining an upcoming meeting!
Every year, the Live Well San Diego Youth Leadership Team participates in a summer mentorship and internship program. The goal of the program is to support Youth Leaders' professional development, career exploration, and involvement in local government.
Learn more about the County departments represented in the mentorship and internship program.
Check out our '21-'22 Youth Leaders' video to learn about their mentorship and internship experiences!
MEET THE YOUTH LEADERSHIP TEAM
In addition to County staff, the Youth Sector is comprised of Youth Sector Coordinators and the Youth Leadership Team. This group of young leaders advises, educates, and organizes around youth needs in San Diego County.
2023-2024 Youth Leadership Team
Youth Sector Coordinators